Welcome to the Library and Fall Term 2010
Welcome to all new and returning MRU students. Fall term promises to be exciting as always, and before you all get too far into the work of the term, I want to share a few Library highlights.
New Study Zones
For those of you familiar with the Library last year you will notice a number of changes have occurred over the summer. In fact we undertook a large-scale Library “facelift” project that included moving every item in the collection at least once, shifting 500 boxes of lesser used items to storage and moving some 4,000 linear feet of shelving. All of this shifting and moving was in direct response to student concerns regarding lack of space and high noise levels in the Library. Through student consultations and Library and campus Facilities input, we were able to come up with a “facelift” plan that we hope students will find a big improvement. Let us know what you think of the changes.
So what did we do?
- Created clearly labelled study zones for individual silent study and quiet group work so all MRU students can still find their place in the Library without disrupting the work of others
- Created a silent study room / classroom from renovated viewing room - seats 38
- Added and moved shelving and books to create sound buffers and delineate zones
- Regrouped furniture to accommodate zoning and added 30 new seats
- Added bar-style seating with more power access (should be arriving at end of September)
- Added study booths with shared screen technology to accommodate collaboration and group work (should be arriving in mid October)
New Library Hours
Please note our revised Library hours for the fall term:
Monday – Thursday 7:45am-10pm
Friday – 7:45am – 6pm
As always – check the website for extended exam hours, and holiday hours.