Update 4 – Thursday, April 9
The Library is closed to the public until further notice. Library employees remain available through virtual support. Please continue to chat, text, and email us.
The main floor computer lab (EL1470A) offers limited availability to students who require computer access. All students will need to tap their OneCard to enter the RLLC to use the computer lab, which is now available 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays.
Upon entering the building, students will be asked a number of questions as part of a health screening, and need to use a sanitization station upon entering and leaving the computer lab. As well, each computer will be cleaned immediately before and after use.
Although these labs are open for those requiring them, health authorities have been very clear that students should not come to campus unless absolutely necessary. If you are ill, have travelled in the past 14 days or have been in contact with someone with COVID-19, it is extremely important that you not come to campus.
Computer labs for writing exams:
Only under extremely extenuating circumstances will students be permitted to write exams in a computer lab. If you have no other options, please submit this form 24 hours prior to the time of your exam. You will then be notified of the location.
Hours (until April 22)
Monday to Thursday: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday + Sunday: Closed
Virtual Library Support (Chat, text, email)
Monday to Thursday: 7:30 a.m. to- 8 p.m.
Friday: 7:30 a.m. to- 5 p.m.
Saturday + Sunday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
*Easter Weekend: April 10 to 13
There will be no access to the Computer Commons or virtual support during the upcoming long weekend, including Good Friday and Easter Monday.
Update 3 – Tuesday, March 24
The Library is here to support you, with all your online information needs, in a virtual environment.
Text us your questions –– (587- 400- 8044)
- New service! Send your questions to the new Library SMS messaging number and easily connect with us using your smartphone.
Library hours and access
- Library support is available virtually, 7 days a week. We are available to assist students and faculty over chat, text (587- 400- 8044), and email. Check the Library website for opening hours.
- During the week (M-F), the first floor of the Riddell Library and Learning Center remains open for study and computer lab access during regular campus hours for those who must come to campus. Please note that there is no in-person support available during this time. As of March 21, the University campus, including the Library, is physically closed on weekends. Please reach out to us virtually for support.
Digitization of Course Reserves
- While the circulation of all physical collection items has been suspended, we are working hard to connect the MRU Community with Course Reserve material. Students and faculty can now submit a request using the form now available on the Library website. All requests are subject to MRU’s fair dealing guidelines, and the turnaround time for each request and availability of this service is affected by the volumes of requests we receive.
Interlibrary loan access
- In an effort to align with guidelines from Alberta Health Services and Mount Royal University, MRU Interlibrary Loan service has suspended the borrowing and lending of physical material (Eg. books, videos, etc.). ILL physical materials received from other libraries will not be processed at this time.
- For Mount Royal University students, faculty, and staff: If you have an ILL loan, please do not come to campus to return it. Due dates are suspended indefinitely and we will waive any fees incurred.
- For other Libraries: If you have borrowed MRU items, renewal requests are automatically granted, and all due dates have also been extended.
Update 2 – Wednesday, March 18
The Library is making a number of adjustments to services, teaching, and support, to meet the changing needs of campus and of Library users as follows:
The circulation of physical materials including equipment is temporarily suspended. Due dates for all currently borrowed materials will be extended, and users will be encouraged to hold on to any borrowed materials until further notice. Online access to books, journals, databases, and archival materials remains unchanged. A process for digitizing and providing alternative formats for Course Reserve materials is being developed. Please visit the Library website for updates or contact your subject librarian if you have questions.
There will be some changes to Riddell Library and Learning Centre (RLLC) building access in response to the significantly reduced number of students on campus. Floors 2 to 4 will be closed. With some exceptions, the first floor of the RLLC remains open.
Library employees are focused on meeting the demand for virtual support. Please continue to contact us using the usual virtual options.
Update 1 – Monday, March 16
The University has advised faculty to transition to alternative methods of course delivery starting Tuesday, March 17. The Library supports all directives and updates published on mru.ca/COVID19. The situation is changing quickly as we work to follow guidelines issued by Alberta Health Services and the University; at this time, we wish to share the following information:
- The Library remains open. We continue to teach and support all Library users via chat, phone or email, or in-person at the Service Desk. Please continue to get in touch with us as usual.
- As the campus transitions to alternative methods of course delivery, we encourage faculty to consider adjustments to assignments requiring print materials (including Course Reserves), or specialized equipment. Please email your Subject Librarian for assistance and to discuss options for locating alternative resources, such as streaming videos, ebooks, or other licensed or open digital materials for online classes.
- Subject librarians will continue to work with faculty to teach information literacy content virtually; we are also able to provide student support for research assignments through video conferencing using Google Meet. Students can schedule virtual appointments through the Schedule an Appointment page.
- You do not need to come to campus to renew or return library materials. Renew online or contact us for help.
- We will waive fines for materials temporarily, to accommodate students, faculty, and staff unable to make it to campus to return items. Please reach out to Service Desk staff through the Contact Us email form or chat so we can make note of special arrangements.
- The Library will temporarily suspend lending equipment with foam faceplates or accessories worn on the head or that make contact near facial features until further notice. This includes headphones, microphones with foam attachments, and VR headsets. All other equipment continues to be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- With fewer students on campus, we have made adjustments to the staffing of specialized learning and teaching spaces. Staff in the Maker Studio, Experience Lab, and Archives & Special Collections will continue to provide support and assistance to library users via scheduled appointments (either in-person or virtually) but will not be available for drop-in appointments. To schedule an appointment please email the following contacts:
- Library workshops, instruction sessions, and other group learning opportunities will be moved to virtual delivery where possible.
- We know the Library has many high-touch surfaces. Disinfectant wipes are available at the Service Desk. We encourage all users to wipe down work areas and equipment before use.
Mount Royal students, faculty, and staff have access to a wide variety of equipment available to borrow from the Library. Everything from high-tech audiovisual cameras and light kits for special projects, to everyday essentials like phone chargers and laptops, are free to use with an MRU OneCard.
It’s now easier than ever to view and book exactly what you need through the Library website. The newly launched equipment booking system allows you to choose and reserve the device you’re looking to use with a few clicks. Once we get your request, it will be ready for pick up at the Service Desk on the main floor.
Questions? Start a chat from the homepage and we’ll be happy to help you with the new online booking system.
MRU Library will be closed on June 24 & 25. We plan to reopen on Wednesday.
If you have items to return, please wait until MRU reopens to bring them in. We will waive overdue fines incurred during library closure.
Yep, you heard right!
Once @MRULibrary reaches 250 followers on Twitter, we will be randomly selecting 5 of our followers to receive a $10 coffee card. And free coffee tastes better – it’s a fact. 😉
If you haven’t already followed us on Twitter, check us out at @MRULibrary. Please feel free to stop by and ask a question, tell us how we are doing, catch up with the latest library news or just say hey.